SD99s 2010 Delano Flight Scholarship Winner

Bay Cities chapter Ninety-Nine Tracy Zedeck has been selected as the 2010 Marian R. Delano Memorial Flight Scholarship winner. The $1,500 award will help her in achieving the multi-engine rating.Tracy began flight training in 2002 while attending the University of Colorado for a degree in psychology. When she realized her flight training studies became my first choice for homework, she decided her my career and hobby choices would have to be switched. In 2004 she graduated college, earned her private pilot certificate and began a new quest to live her dreams:

"Over the next few years I worked as a teacher, waitress, and office manager at a glider towing company while paying for my flight training. In 2007 I received my commercial certificate and was promoted at the glider company from the office desk to the single seat Piper Pawnee. I loved being a “Tow Dog” battling the mountain wave and rough rotor over the Rockies. After a lot of patience, hard work, and persistence, I was offered an opportunity to work for the summer season of 2009 in Talkeetna, Alaska. I flew climbers and tourists in Cessna 185s onto glaciers in Denali National Park. Landing uphill on a U-shaped glacial run- way without brakes in front of massive granite mountains was one of the best experiences of my life! Sometimes I still have to pinch myself. For summer of 2010 I will be flying charter, mail, and sightseeing tours out of Juneau, Alaska. I am having a lot of fun building flight time, but I am ready to start building multi-engine experience to meet the hiring requirements for my ultimate goal in becoming an Emergency Medical Services pilot. This award is yet another reminder that as long as you keep trying, keep your goals in sight, and keep your passion in your heart, then the sky’s the limit."